Energy Assessments


Energy Assessments
An energy performance certificate (UK) is a legal requirement whenever a property is built, sold or rented and will show you how energy efficient your property is and give you a rating from A-G (A being the best and G being the worst). The document will also include recommendations on measures that would make your home more energy efficient, along with estimated costs for implementing the changes and potential savings you could make.

Being members of the Elmhurst accreditation scheme, we are able to develop an assessment strategy for any building.

EPC's are valid for 10 years from the date of issue.


Simplified Building Energy Model which is a Software tool that provides an analysis of a buildings energy consumption in accordance with Park L of the Building Control Regulations.

The following information is often required to provide the full calculation - types of heating, lighting, ventilation/air conditioning used, buildings construction plans, use of any renewable energy resources and the uvalues of the building fabric.

As Design Stage: This needs to be submitted to your building control officer at the same time as your building control application.

As Built Stage: This is when the build is complete, and a pass certificate has been issued.

Buildings that require an SBEM
  • Offices
  • Warehouses
  • Retail Units
  • Restaurants
  • Leisure Centres
  • Retirement Homes


Standard Assessment Procedure which is the only government approved method for calculating the energy performance of dwelling. SAP calculations determine a score/rating between 1-100+ which estimates the annual energy related running costs of a dwelling. The higher the rating the lower the fuel cost and lower the associated emissions of Carbon Dioxide (CO2). All new building dwellings IN Northern Ireland must have a SAP Calculation completed before construction commences.

As Design Stage-

As Built Stage-


A Display Energy Certificate shows the energy performance of a building which will be based on the scale of A-G (A being the most energy efficient and G being the least). It should also be accompanied by a recommendation report that shows how the organisation can reduce their energy consumption.

How is this different than an EPC? A DEC cert will measure the actual energy usage of a building based on the annual consumption whereas an EPC cert will measure the energy efficiency of the building based on the level of insulation in the walls and roof along with the type, as well as the efficiency of the services such as lighting, ventilation and heating.

Public authorities must have a DEC for a building if the below are true:
  • Partially occupied by a public authority (council, leisure centre, college, NHS)
  • Total floor area of over 250 square metres
  • Frequently used by public – they must display their DEC in a prominent place clearly visible to the public.
Built by: Bann Computing
Our website uses cookies to improve your experience. By browsing this site you consent to our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy ... more info. That's Fine